Update on med-surge II

4:03 PM Edit This 2 Comments »


Well, I have made it through the first 6 weeks! AND I LOVE IT! Who knew? I am learning so much each time I go and really find that nursing is what I am meant to do. I am doing new skills and feel like a "real" nurse. I still hate the fact that the place is a maze, and as long as I don't stray far from where I know I am ok, hehe.

My group is great, we all help each other and really do work well as a team. The nurses on the floor are really nice and most enjoy teaching us too. Some really take the time to explain things to us and let us get a ton of hands-on experience. My clinical teacher is nice and trusts us and jokes with us (she changed her opinion about me having a disability and no longer doubts my abilities). It is a nice feeling not to be intimidated all the time. I find I learn so much better this way.

6 more weeks to go.. or 7, not sure, what with March break... (which I am on now!). Wish me luck!

Today also marks 3 since I got Transverse Myelitis. In a way, it is a "good" thing; made me want to become a nurse even more, gave me insight into how patients feel and will make me a better nurse. So I guess it isn't all bad (paralysis and all), more challenging for sure and I still have some doubts, but what student nurse doesn't?

(The pics are of me now, participating in my school's Open House and of me back in 2004, when I was in the hospital and saying that I would become a nurse!)

2 comments:

segacs said...

"Happy" 3-year anniversary - not to be ironic or sarcastic or anything, but seriously - because those photos are amazing, both in terms of how far you've come in the past 3 years, and in terms of how much can be accomplished with a goal and a positive attitude. And okay, I'm starting to sound like an after-school special so I'll stop now. But it seems to me like this 3-year milestone deserves celebrations... and cake. Much cake.

Marieke said...

Cake sounds good!